Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One Monkey Don't Stop the Show



I’ve never considered myself a runner, but I run. I got into running in high school when friends on the cross-country team recruited me just to have enough girls to make a full team (you needed 5). It wasn’t really a priority for me, but I trained with them during summers and ran in meets that didn’t interfere with soccer games. I remember clearly the first time I ran more than three miles. It seemed like such a big accomplishment at the time. 

I started to run on my own after that. I ran to stay fit. I ran through teenage angst. I ran through heartbreaks. I ran to try to get off those freshmen 15.

 Now I run mostly because there isn’t a whole lot else I can do. Because I live on a dirt road along a beautiful coastline. Because it sets an example for others to be physically active. Because it clears my head. 

In my area, I am the white girl who runs. I am sure many other PCVs have similar labels based on activities they do that local people do not do. I’ve been asked if I am a soldier. No, I just want to be healthy is apparently not an acceptable response. But they get it, kind of. The boys all train for rugby matches during different times of the year. So each day as I head down to the road, I am greeted by friendly questions asking if I am going training. And each day I say yes. 

Sometimes this has been true -- that I have been training, that is. I trained and ran my first half-marathon in New Zealand in early 2012. I began training for a full marathon early this year, because, Hey, why not? I was not however, successful in achieving this goal.

There is always risk running on your own. Anywhere. As an adolescent Dad would tell me horror stories of girls who would go jogging and all that were later found were their running shoes. I never wanted to be one of those girls. But I also didn’t want fear to stop me from enjoying life. You have to calculate your risks in everything, I suppose. 

I feel safe running in my area. Everyone knows me, and people along the road are looking after me. If I didn’t come back, there would be a search party. I don’t run at night but early evening when there is reasonable traffic. Now, Solo usually runs with me thanks to the pair of old running shoes, or “canvas”, that Sarah left when she came to visit.

I don’t really feel safe running in town, and especially Suva. There are so many people, not to mention they don’t know me, and the city just plain makes me nervous because of how busy it is. However, in May when I was about half way into my training schedule for the marathon, I had to take a trip to Suva and couldn’t really afford to lose training time because of it. I headed out on a Sunday morning for a 13 mile run. I figured this would be the best time to run because most people would be in church. It was a little after 8am when I started. I felt a little awkward because in the village it is tabu for me to run on Sundays, but I wasn’t in the village. I also couldn’t get anyone to go with me because I guess 13 miles can be a bit much.

Somewhere around mile 10 a man jumped me from behind and tackled me off the side of the road. In the first second I thought it was someone coming up behind me like they often do in the village and hugging me. Who is this I know in Suva? In the second moment my instincts kicked in, my heartbeat skipped; there was a horrible pit in my stomach. This is a bad person.

 I was rounding a bend in the road where houses were just out of view. We did not roll down the hill, which was probably his plan. He pulled at my clothes, he kissed at my neck and face, his hands were in my shorts. I was screaming, kicking, and punching. I hit his face hard. Somehow my finger got into his mouth and he bit down, hard. I kept screaming and writhing. The houses are just out of site. Oh please someone hear me! Why can’t I yell like a cheerleader? He does not have a weapon. Keep fighting! You aren’t going to die. This is what I remember thinking. 

Miraculously, I heard cars coming! Three cars drove towards us and he got up and ran. I got up too. I was waving my arms at the cars and pointing at the man running away. He was barefoot. He was wearing baggy jean shorts, or three-quarters as they call them here. He had a blue baseball cap in his hand. He wasn’t much taller than me.

The cars drove past. I was so angry. I was so scared. I was bawling. I was alone.

The cars had turned up the road in the direction he ran, and so he turned and ran back down the other way, past the intersection where I was walking towards. I screamed at the top of my lungs, FUCK YOU! He turned and looked, surprised, but kept on running. I could hear the futileness of my scream as it echoed off nothing and met no other ears.  

I felt so helpless. I didn’t know what to do. It all happened so fast and then it was over. Adrenaline pumped through my veins. I am okay. I am lucky

One of the vehicles turned around and stopped for me. It was a kind, old Indo-Fijian man in a nice SUV. He asked if I was okay, where I was staying. He gave me a ride back to the PCV’s house where I was staying. I should have got his info, he was a witness. But I wasn’t thinking. You shouldn’t run by yourself, he said. I know, I know.
 
Carol was so sweet in helping me call the PC staff. I called our Safety and Security Officer, who immediately called the PC doctor, who came right over even though she was in church. He also called our Country Director who arranged to meet us at the office right away. I waited to shower until the doc had a look over. Besides some scrapes from the fall, my bitten finger was the only physical worry. Mentally, I was numb. I didn’t know what I was supposed to feel. I laughed as I told the S&S officer how I punched the man in the face, but it was a strange foreign laugh. I didn’t feel like I should be upset. I hadn’t actually gotten raped. Other women have endured much worse. A kind of forced stoicism came over me. Be strong, I told myself. And there were no more tears.

Peace Corps treated the issue efficiently and gently. It was my call whether or not to take the matter to the police. It was my call if I wanted to take some leave. There would be counseling available if I wanted it. What I wanted were hugs.

We went to the police. More of a matter of principle than me expecting any sort of justice to ever come of it. As far as taking leave, it happened that the very next day my two best girlfriends were landing in Nadi and we were to be briskly whisked off on a boat to paradise. 

Paradise seemed very far away as I sat in the police station and filled out a police report, re-telling the story for the 6th time while a blood-crusted drunkard caused a ruckus in the other room. I wish the policewoman and my Security Officer would just fricking speak in English to me! It was not the time to be pushing my language skills!

There was not much more we could do at that point. The Fiji police have vehicles few and far between. (And I just realized as I write this that they do not carry weapons.) There would be no hunt. The only chance of capture would be if he were turned in for a similar offense. Then I could be called in to try and identify him. 

My girlfriends were boarding a plane in LA and I knew that the best antidote to the feelings of hurt and hatred would be the love they were bringing. That and a week spent half naked basking in the sun, a world away from the real Fiji, with something rummy in my tummy.

It was a grand time out at Octopus Resort in the Yasawas. Highly recommended!

But after a week of this…

 
… it was back to reality. And reality kind of bit… like a lot. I am so thankful my girls were here, even if I wasn’t ready to open up and talk about anything. There were lots of held back tears. I had to revisit the scene of crime, for lack of better words, twice on the day we went back in Suva. PC and I had to go pick up the lady constable in charge of the new Sexual Assault Unit because she had no transport. I had to fill out yet another report, telling the story over again. Get me back to Bua, snap!

It was so fun having the girls in the village. That deserves an entire post. I finally broke down in Solo’s arms. We cried together as he held me on my kitchen floor, the girls sleeping in the other rooms. There was something about having man with strong arms whose only intention was to love me and not hurt me, who held me as I cried, who promised to be my protector, that made me feel better than even my best girlfriend’s could. 

I don’t hate anyone, but I hate you
Your nameless face who tried to hurt me
I hate you because you didn’t succeed
And yet I’m left in fear
Your ghost runs behind me
I feel you following me around each bend
Over and over you pounce
You and the multiplicity of your rotten self
On innocent souls all over the world
For me it is just fear
For many a worse reality
Fuck you. Fuck your diseased spirit.
Sometimes you overtake me
But in the end I win.
We win.
Those who keep on running.

It took me a while to be ready, but I wanted to share this story because I know that there are many others, and many Peace Corps Volunteers, who have faced similar, and much worse, scenarios. I wanted to share this story because I want to banish the fear that man left with me. I want to forgive him. 

Love conquers hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment